Garner Family

Garner Family

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Notes from Dad--March 10, 2014

I'm going to start posting Dave's letters to Samantha too because he adds things that I didn't remember about the week!  Go Garner family history through our letter writing to our missionary!


Dear Sammy,

Sure love you!  Hope you have had a wonderful week.  Can't wait to hear about it.

We just got home from an FHE at Usery Park with the usual Bridlegate suspects (Dilles, Smiths, etc., etc.), as we have done in years past.  Roasted hot dogs, s'mores, and sat around chatting till it was late.  I smell like smoke, but it was a very pleasant evening.  As we were arriving, the setting sun lit up Pass Mountain beautifully and then we watched the sun set and hung out around the campfire and/or ramada.  

The big event this past week for me (and Kent) was going to Science Camp.  I carpooled up with three other dads from our ward (Bros. Robison, Taysom, and Bloom).  We went to the same camp you went to in Prescott.  Kent had a great time.  We shared a cabin with Jared I. and Jacob B.. Most of the other kids in our "room" were various levels of autistic, so they required a little extra supervision, but the boys all got along great.

After lunch on Tuesday, our group went on the hike up Thumb Butte.  After we finished the hike, Bro. Bloom congratulated the boys on conquering Thumb "Butt" (he told them the "e" was silent).  That became the joke of the evening . . . .  After the hike, we did the rock wall and zip line.  That was the consensus favorite activity of the camp.  Kent didn't seem scared at all.  He climbed right up and jumped right off on the zip line. Then lined right up and did it a second time!

That evening, we did a group scavenger hunt.  Our team came in second place (and earned a big Hershey bar)!  After the scavenger hunt, we went to the lodge, where the kids put on their skits.  Kent is so funny.  He was so prepared--he had written out a script for his group and, in addition, put everyone's individual lines on a 3x5 card with various items highlighted.  It was cracking me up (as the skits are pretty simple).  Anyway, they had planned to do a skit involving one of the kids acting like a lawnmower that proved very difficult to get started.  After the boys all failed to get it going, they were going to ask Bro. Sawyer to try; then, when the mower starts right up, they would say:  "I guess all it needed was a 'big jerk'!"  (haha.)  Well, it was a great plan, but before they could have their turn on the skit, the "MC," who was interjecting jokes and stuff between skits, ended up stealing their skit . . .  Luckily, the boys had another one that they ended up being able to do, though it wasn't quite as funny.  Anyway, Kent didn't seem to bothered by it, so it was all good.

I actually slept fairly well that night, though I always forget to bring ear plugs along with me to combat the inevitable snorers . . . .

On Wednesday, we did all the other activities (solar art, backpack attack, owl pellets, dance instruction, teamwork challenge, etc.).  Kent's owl pellet turned out to be a good one--we were able to construct nearly a full skeleton of the rat the owl had eaten.  Bro. Sawyer taught the owl pellet lesson and started by telling the boys what owl pellets are [i.e., puked up stuff that the owl eats but can't digest]  and then explained that, in a survival situation, you could eat owl pellets if necessary.  He then told the boys that the pellets didn't really taste too bad and proceeded to unwrap one and pop it in his mouth.  The boys all gagged, before Mr. Sawyer confessed that he had just wrapped up a piece of brownie to look like the owl pellets.  :-)

During dinner, a whole group of javelina decided to come traipsing through camp.  The kids got a real kick out of watching them.

That night, we sang campfire songs and roasted s'mores before . . . the DANCE!  The dance was hilarious!  I had no idea how much the kids--including the boys--would get into it.  But, get into it they did, including Kent.  Mrs. Wilson had taught them about 12 line dances and other dances during their rotations, and they all really had a fun time.  Kent was cracking me up.  He really let down his guard and went a little wild (which, as you know, is not his normal m.o.).  I kept discretely taking video clips of him on my phone to show to Mom.  His "macarena" was the best--particularly the "hip action" part.  (it was all knee action...Kristine's comment)

That night the boys all slept like logs and the following morning we packed up and headed for home.  I'm glad I was able to go with Kent.

On Friday, we had the adult ward party.  Mom gave you the details on that and sent you a couple of photos of our "potato car."   As is the Garner tradition, our car was more about design and looks, rather than speed (it didn't even make down the entire track), but we had a fun time. 

Saturday, Mom and I did the 35 mile Usery loop on our bikes.  She told you about her two flat tires.  Turns out that my front tire was punctured as well, though luckily, the leak was a slow one and the tire held up for the whole ride (which is good b/c I didn't have a spare tube with me).  I didn't realize it was punctured till later that night when went to ride it to the park and found it completely flat.  Anyway, the weather was absolutely beautiful for a ride.  I love getting out and being active in the comfortably cool mornings this time of year!

Mom gave you the scoop on Jessica's wedding and Amber's tryout for the Saturday's Warrior play and Kent's and Lindsay's final soccer games.

The play Mom and I went to see was Oklahoma.  The singing, acting, and choreography were actually pretty good, but as Mom mentioned, the storyline of the play is kind of dark and filled with a lot of sexist, gender stereotypes.  But, the actual date activity was not as important as the fact of the date itself!  

Between the ward party, the bike ride, the wedding, reception, the play, and a no-extra-meeting fast Sunday, I pretty much spent the entire weekend with my sweetheart.  I sure love your Mother!  It was great to have a chance to spend that much time together.

At fast and testimony meeting, there were a number of testimonies referencing the Cultural Celebration and temple dedication.  All very positive and uplifting.  Amber shared her testimony.  She mentioned that one of the moments she felt the Spirit most was when the youth were all out on the field getting drenched while waiting for the prophet to arrive.  Instead of focusing on their wet condition, a bunch of youth in her area broke out into singing primary songs, which made it both spiritual and fun.  Love it!

I cooked our break-the-fast dinner (grilled chicken and rice), as Mom had a bad headache and, in any event, deserved a rest.  Kent made the salad, and Lindsay made a no-bake cheesecake (with minimal help from me).  The Bishop joined us for dinner (he is a "bachelor" for spring break, while his family is in Utah).  After dinner, we went on a family walk down through the horse properties to the south of us.  Again, the weather was gorgeous.  Very pleasant to be out.  I posted  a picture of the family on our walk to FB.  Doris commented on the post: "What a beautiful picture of a wonderful family.  God bless you all and I thank him every day you guys are a part of our lives."  She's so sweet.  She also commented on a photo of me, Mom, Amber, and Paige at the Cultural Celebration, saying "You are missing one!" (i.e., you).  

Work is going well.  We are settling into our new office space, which is not far from our old office (directly across from U.S. Airways arena--where the Suns play).  I get to look out my window at South Mountain all day, so it's all good. [I think I may have told you about that last week--oh well, I'm getting old . . . ].

Well, when I start repeating myself, that means it's probably time for me to wrap things up.  

We pray for you daily and think about you constantly.  I'm proud of your decision to dedicate this portion of your life to the Lord's service.  The blessings you reap for your service will be much greater than the sacrifice you are making.  Keep working hard, and enjoy!

Love,

Dad

No comments: