Mom just finished giving our FHE lesson, based on an article in the New Era that reminds us not to look to the world to define what is of value (e.g., trendy clothes, money, toys, body shape, etc.) A good reminder that, in contrast to the world, the worth of all souls is great in the sight of God, regardless of physical attributes or material possessions.
Although last week was spring break, I worked all week long, so it wasn't much of a break for me. As Mom mentioned, we did, however, sneak in a good family hike out to Canyon Lake from the First Water Trailhead. I had toyed with the idea of making a trip up to the Grand Canyon and doing a hike out to Plateau Point (not all the way down to the river, but still a tough hike), but Lindsay had an end-of-season breakfast with her soccer team on Saturday morning that she was excited about going to, so we looked for something closer and more modest in terms of difficulty. That was fine, as I had been wanting to do this "shuttle hike" for quite some time.
Because of Lindsay's breakfast, we got a little later start than I wanted (11 am) and I was worried that it would get pretty hot (forecast was for 84 degrees), but the weather turned out to be quite pleasant. We had a nice breeze on the latter half of the hike that helped keep the temp in check as well. We set up the shuttle, by dropping off our "destination" car (the Honda) at the Canyon Lake Marina. In researching this hike, I wasn't sure if there was a charge to park there (there is not). Then, we headed back to the First Water TH in the Suburban. I thought the TH parking lot would be full, but we lucked out and there was a spot open when we arrived! As Mom mentioned, this is the same trailhead where we did the "full moon" hike with Bro. Kirby and where we started the Garden Valley/Hackberry Springs Loop hike 3 or 4 years ago.
When Paige asked how hard the Canyon Lake hike would be, I told her, "We've done much harder." She responded that that was not particularly reassuring, given some of the difficult hikes we have been on :-) It was 8 miles long, but actually quite manageable. There was some elevation gain, but it was just enough to get the blood pumping. Because it was a point-to-point, shuttle hike, we did not cover any ground twice. I was impressed by the wide variety of plant life, rocks, and diversity of nature we saw on the trail. There was a spring that fed a running stream and some creek beds we crossed over that probably have some pretty impressive flows after a good rainstorm.
The first four miles were generally flat or downhill. We came across a train of horse riders and a few small groups of hikers, but for most of the trip, we enjoyed some peaceful solitude. We stopped for lunch at a place called the Indian Paint Mine--a section of particularly red rock/dirt, which the indians apparently used to make paint for their pottery, etc. There wasn't a "mine" in the traditional sense, but a good size pit and some areas with nice shade for our lunch spot.
As we headed out after lunch, the kids remarked that the hike had been pretty easy. I told them that the uphill section was yet to come and that's where they would "earn their ice cream." Luckily, the elevation gain came with breathtaking views--first of the classic Superstition icons (Flatiron, Peaks 5024 & 5057, Weaver's Needle, Battleship, Geronimo Head) and then after cresting the divide, views of Canyon Lake and the surrounding areas. The outstanding scenery took almost all of the pain out of the climb (which wasn't actually that bad).
Just as we were approaching the final descent into Canyon Lake, there was a fork in the trail. The most "direct" route to the trailhead was blocked off by a pile of rocks, but for no reason that I could divine. Yet, we decided to take the longer, more circuitous route, assuming that the trail had been blocked for a reason. Sure enough, the more circuitous route re-connected with the more direct route about .1 mile from the Canyon Lake TH (and was again blocked off by a row of rocks). When I came home an checked by GPS track on the satellite view, I could see both trails and still I don't know why they are apparently encouraging the more round-about route. There's a good gospel analogy there, as sometimes it's not always clear why the Lord asks us to do (or not do) certain things or to do them in a way that we think is harder or more complicated than we think it necessary. At those points, we learn to be humble and trust His judgment.
When we got back to the lake, we stopped by the Marina Restaurant, but ice cream was expensive (and they only had vanilla) so we decided our sweet tooth could wait till we got back to Gilbert for a less expensive option at DQ.
After coming home for a quick shower, Mom and I went to a dinner/dance party that Glade and Laurie Smith were hosting at their church building in Queen Creek. We saw a bunch of our old Ragnar teammates (and women from Mom's Bunko group). The food was good, but we had to cut it a bit short, because I had to get back home to meet a deadline for submitting an application for the lottery to hike Mt. Whitney in California, as part of Kent's 12 y.o. birthday trip. The deadline for the lottery was 9 pm, so we hustled back and put our hat in the ring. Mt. Whitney is the highest peak in the lower 48 states, so it's a popular hike. We'll find out next Sunday whether we get drawn.
In other news, Mom and I finished reading the book "Ender's Game" together. I don't know if you heard about that movie coming out, but the book is a sci-fi novel by Orson Scott Card (who is LDS), about a young boy (Ender Wiggin) who is extremely smart and saves the earth by leading a military attack on the "buggers"--a race of intelligent, insect-like beings who had previously attempted to conquer humans and colonize the earth. The book gives a lot to think about, including the fact that Ender has no desire to be violent or hurt others, but was constantly being thrust into situations where he was forced to do so (as a matter of self defense). While much about the book was a bit disturbing (to Mom, in particular), it had a satisfying, cathartic ending, where Ender was able to turn from violence/destruction and focus on nurturing and building society (including the bugger nation for whose nearly complete destruction he felt responsible). Anyway, after finishing the book, Mom and I rented the movie. As usual, it was only a pale reflection of the book, but still well done, as far as it went.
Work is going okay. I've been expecting a decision in my big case (the special education case that went to a 12-day trial last year). The special education laws require the judge to issue a ruling within a particular time frame, unless the court approves an extension request by the parties. Well, it's turned out that the judge has been requesting multiple extensions of the decision deadline, each time promising that this extension will be the last. The last extension expired on Friday, but still no decision. We didn't get one today, either. I anticipate that we will get the ruling tomorrow sometime. It's a little stressful, but I feel comfortable that, regardless of the outcome, I represented my client's interest well and put them in the best position possible. That said, I would sure like to win :-)
We finally got your missionary plaque ordered, along with Kellee Huffaker's, and Megan Nelson's. Hopefully, we'll have those hanging up in the hallway soon. This month, the ward newsletter contained a blurb from each of the missionaries serving from our ward. It was great to see all of you sisters out representing well! That said, it will also be nice to send out a few elders. We should have a batch going out after graduation (hopefully)--Riley Hales, Kenny Morris, and perhaps a couple more.
Since the marathon, I've just been taking some easy runs. It's been nice just to enjoy the runs without any firm time goal or pace. The weather has been perfect for running in the mornings. Have you had a chance to go running at the CCM? Do they have a gym or other exercise equipment?
It's exciting to think that you will be heading to Piura in another week. Do you have travel plans? As Mom mentioned, we've been "blog-stalking" other missionaries in the CCM and in Piura. You are in for a great experience and adventure. We sure love you and pray for your continued success with the language and in sharing the gospel message in your field of labor. You are and will be a great missionary. Very proud of you!
Till next week, love, Dad
No comments:
Post a Comment