Garner Family

Garner Family

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Just another regular week at the Garner home!

This is my letter to Samantha this week.  No time to go in and just make it a blog entry:).

Dear Samantha,

So I wrote most of this letter yesterday, but didn't send it yet.  I was so sad (I can't even tell you how sad) I was that I missed your phone call.  I just had no idea when you would be leaving or I probably would have sat by the phone all day.  I am glad that you got to talk to the kids though.  So how many of you flew to Piura?  How was your flight?  One blog I found of an elder in Piura said that they were having a very bad drought there, you will have to fill us in on the details.  

I wrote this question yesterday, but am still wondering:  Some of the moms that have missionaries at the Peru MTC were saying that their (all of them were elders) were leaving today (monday) to go to the mission field.  Do you leave from the MTC in shifts?  Just wondering. Can't wait to hear from you when you get Pirua and figure out where your first assignment is etc!

I know that we talked (but I can't remember) about whether or not you want me to forward letters onto you from Connor, Ryan, David and Kaleb.  What about: Hayden, Tyler, Grant (think those are the only ones I get).  I know your time is so limited, but let me know what you think.

My cycle class has become pretty popular:).  I have had a full class each time for the last few weeks.  I am not really sure what makes the difference, but I am not complaining!  Today (Monday) I had 2 people that couldn't come to my class because there were no bikes left. CRAZY!

Amber had her play last week.  We went on Wednesday night.  Grandma and Doris came with us.  Amber did a great job as usual.  I will send a few pictures:). (Actually dad sent pictures and a better description:)).

On Saturday morning I was in charge of the orienteering course for girls camp for the 3rd years certification.  It went pretty well.  I thought that I knew what I was doing and didn't go check out the course the day before.  I should have, but oh well!  You learn something everyday!

When I got home Dad wanted to go on a hike.  No one else wanted to go so we made it a date.  We got started pretty late.  We made sandwiches and ate at the trail head. We went to South Mountain and hiked the Guadalupe Ridge line trail.  It said that it was only about a 3 on a scale of 5.  It was up one peak and down the other side and up the next peak.  It was warm and the sun was out.  It was however, beautiful and you could see so much of the valley...all directions.  We took the National trail back and went through Hidden Valley (fat man's pass) and then back to where we had parked (dad will have to fill you in on where the parking lot is, it is not one that we have gone to before).  I have to tell you that even though the hike was 8 miles (same distance we hiked last week), I was much more wiped out!  By about 7 pm I was falling asleep.  Dad was awesome and went and did some last minute grocery shopping for our Sunday dinner (just spaghetti).

My primary class is still pretty rambunctious!  They still crack me up.  I have lowered my expectation on what I can teach each week and try to enjoy the moments when they are actually listening!  

Which reminds me of something that I was going to talk to you about as you head into the "real" mission field.  I know that when I was in the MTC it was like living in a bubble.  We talked a lot about missionary work, and role played a ton, but living in the field is a bit different! You have had a taste of that with your Saturday outings (which is awesome), but I want to share one of the lessons that I learned.  My second companion was a convert to the church and was just a little older (not much) and had a lot of life experience.  One of the things that she taught me (she had a really hard time waking up in the morning and I refused to be her mother and wake her up)  was that when she worked, she worked hard, but at the same time she knew how to enjoy life and get the most out of life all the time.  She would always tell me, "I work hard and I play hard."   P-days were always fun and a time that we could let down (within reason) and enjoy.  They were super busy, and we were always respectful of our callings as missionaries, but we tried to experience what our area had to offer as well.  Also when we worked she made the work as fun as possible.  We constantly sang hymns.  She is the one that taught me that relaxing did not mean slacking.  Remember to enjoy your mission and each experience and know that the Lord will make up the difference!  I know you have a good balance in your life, especially when you focus on the positive!

I guess what I am saying is don't let being "strictly obedient" get in the way of enjoying the experiences that you will have.  Laugh and love and live and trust that the Lord will help you to find the people that need your message!  Focus on the things that are going right and the good things that you are doing each day and let the other stuff go so that it doesn't stop you from being the best you can be.


I love you!  Hopefully you will get a minute today to read your email and respond to ours!  If you get a chance to call me from the mission home, call my cell phone:)!  
 
Our thoughts and prayers are with you!! 

Love,
Mom

No comments: