Garner Family

Garner Family

Saturday, October 25, 2008

We DID IT!

Today Dave & I ran our first 1/2 marathon. That is 13.1 miles. I wasn't sure that I would ever want to run one. Last year after running my 2nd 10k I figured that maybe I could do it in a year. When we found that the YMCA 1/2 marathon was on a Saturday and was sooner than the one we had originally planned on. We decided to do it and it was at that point that I got a sick feeling...what had I gotten myself into???? It wasn't until I ran 10 miles a few weeks ago that I really had any confidence that I could really run that far. Of course the last couple of days I have been nervous. I am not really competitive, but I wanted to finish and I wanted to run the whole way.

The day started early this morning. We were up at 5:40 and left at 6:15 am. Here we are at the starting line. It was a little bit chilly before the race started, but that is a good thing and the day couldn't have been better!

Dave's sister ran this 1/2 last year and was back again this year with her friend and running partner Catherine. She joked at the end and said, "I just spent $50 to torture myself!"
Here we are at the end, not too much worse for the wear:)! The last 2 miles were mostly up hill. The last mile included a steep dirt hill that was a killer, but we still did it!

Dave, Me, MaryAnn, Catherine
(after all that and we can still smile!)

Dave came in with the best time at 1:51:07. MaryAnn next with 2:04, Catherine at 2:07 (if my times are off they are pretty close). I came in last of crew at 2:11:38. My goal was to run 10 min 30 sec miles which would put me at a time of 2:17. So I beat my time. I ran with MaryAnn and Catherine for the first 3 miles until they pulled away. There was another gal that was running about my pace and we introduced ourselves (Laurel is her name...didn't have time to catch the last name) and ran most of the rest of the race together, keeping each other motivated.

The last two miles I just told myself that I run this all the time and from here on out it is all in my head and I can do it! I am so glad that Dave got me started running and that the rewards of feeling better keep me going. I am not an elite runner, but I am a runner nonetheless!

13 comments:

laurie said...

You ran the whole 13 miles?!? I'm way impressed. That is awesome. I can only dream...

jamieBEE said...

WAY TO GO KRIS!!!!!!!!!!!! You look GREAT!

Annie K said...

Congratulations! You are a better person than I. Just keep going. The one time I attempted to train for a marathon I quit a month into the program. My reasoning came one day when I was running 10 miles on my treadmill (It was winter time in Utah) I thought, "Why am I doing this? I hate running. My 40 minutes a day is good enough for me." Sadly to say my running has been slowing down and can sometimes can be easily swayed into the elliptical or stair climber. My endurance isn't what it was. My brain and reasoning can be very convincing and enticing.

Yvette said...

Congratulations! That's awesome! You do look great.

mwells said...

Kristine... I am so proud of you! I have never beaten my goal by almost 30 seconds a mile!!! You were awesome, and I am so glad you are running. It is quite the feeling to accomplish a goal you have set your mind, and in this case your body too!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Carri said...

Amazing, but sadly, doesn't motivate me. Oh well. I can sew you some smaller clothes, right?

DTaylor said...

I am soooo proud! What a great accomplishment for you and your family!

Diane

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO!!!!!! Dacia

Anonymous said...

Kris and Dave,
You are in inspiration!!! Great Job!!! Thanks for sharing your success--I know that is not easy, physically or mentally. I consider myself a jogger but you have to really have something inside to push you that far!!! YOU DID IT!!! AWESOME

Leslie said...

Awesome! I'm so impressed and motivated myself. Woo hoo!
Les.

Camille said...

You go girl!!!

Elizabeth said...

You are AWESOME!!! That's great you ran the whole way! Way to go!

Jaime Lynne said...

This is dang skippy awesome, K. Congrats to you both!!!