Garner Family

Garner Family

Thursday, January 8, 2009

New Year and a new adventure!

Those of you who know me well have probably been involved in the drama in my life over the last 2 1/2 plus years. Most of that has surrounded one of my children who struggles in school. Since the end of 1st grade we (me, everyone who would listen to me, her teachers, her grandmothers (who are both retired teachers)) have tried to figure out how to help her to learn to read. At first it didn't seem like a very big deal, she was just a little immature (late birthday) and just needed some time. It became a very big deal and changed my whole outlook on life and the learning process and the role of school in our lives.

I have come to HATE letter grades (especially for 2nd graders) and where it used to mean something to me for my children to be getting A's & B's...now I have a healthier (to me at least) perspective on grades. They don't really mean success to me like they did in the past. I know there are different ways to measure success and one formula does not fit all! So to make a long story shorter than it could be. This daughter repeated 2nd grade after much prayer, fasting, consultation, a reading tutor and me kicking and screaming. She did much better the second time (in spite of all the stupid (I am not really showing my bias am I?) worksheets) and her reading was improving everyday. I thought we had made it through the worst and were going to be able to keep the status quo.

However, I must not have learned all I needed to or something, but this year in third grade she started slipping again. This time it is more emotional (not a surprise when she takes after me a lot), but getting distracting in the classroom and spilling over into her school work and every aspect of her life. Now the emotional part has always been there and we have tried to help her with that as well as the academic part, but I have to say that my focus was on the school part. I guess I felt like if we could help her find "success" there it would help with the emotional issues.

After more fasting, prayer, research, soul searching, more consulting I came to the conclusion (with Dave dragging his heels, but willing to support me) that I would pull her out of the traditional school and essentially home school her. In all my research I found an online school that is a charter school here in Arizona called the Arizona Virtual Academy. They provide a computer, all the curriculum, the support of a personal teacher and many other resources. So we did it and made the leap. We started on Monday and so far so good. Dave says this is our honeymoon period of time (which I totally agree that it is), but this way I can work with her one on one, and we can work on school, emotional issues (both of ours) and our relationship all at the same time!

I am really loving it right now...ask me in a couple of months if I still feel this way. I love the fact that we are busy, but I don't have to come up with all the things that we are doing...I just follow the plan! So far she is enjoying the school at home too. I know she is starting to miss her friends, so I will have to make more of an effort to invite her friends over after school. So here we go on our new adventure!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great Mom you are to take on this challenge! Good luck to you, and Your Best Student! Dacia

Yvette said...

Good Luck! I have a strong testimony of Heavenly Father giving moms the personal revelation for just the right things that their kids need. I still think kids should come with their own instructions manuels, especially with troubleshooting areas like you said

laurie said...

Oh My! I have weighed that option sooooo many times and have never had the courage to go through with it. I'm dying to see how it goes. I agree with the "honeymoon" thing so I'll wait for a few months to really grill you about it. Good for you for not just giving in.

mwells said...

The first thing that came to mind was a favorite scripture of mine... Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." You do all you can and He will lift and support you!

Just like everything in life, you will rise to the challenge. Your kids are blessed with wonderful parents who love them!

I'll add my faith and prayers to yours. If there is anything else I can do, please let me know!

Cami said...

Good luck with this; thank goodness we have kids around to keep things interesting, no?

Elizabeth said...

You are a great mom! Good luck with the home schooling. One-on-one time is a miracle worker! It's been the hugest blessing for us and our sweet Natalie.

Camille said...

Why do kids have to be so hard--or I guess the "worrying about our kids" is the thing that is so hard. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this with her. I know as I've watched my own kids struggle with things, that a mom can only be as happy as her saddest child.

jamieBEE said...

You are RADICAL!!!!!!! Way to go!!! Keep us posted! Good luck with everything! And if you ever want to come on a field trip to Vegas! We would love to educate with you!

The Johnsen7 said...

Good luck Kristine! I am sure it will take some adjusting, but you are bound to figure it out and get in your groove.
I have a really good friend that does the same thing with her kids. She has 4 that are school age... (6 total!) So if you ever need her number, let me know! She loves it!

Annie K said...

I don't remember letter grades in elementary school, but I am sure they were there in some form. I agree that such a system is not necessary for younger ages. I don't know what my thoughts are for junior high and high school. Good luck!

Steve and Holly said...

Good luck! It's a good thing that you're such an amazing woman!