Garner Family

Garner Family

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Life at home:)

Well, apparently the honeymoon period with homeschooling has a few bumps but still is sweet. We have had some great weeks here at home. We work hard all morning while Lindsay & the rest are at the "brick & mortar" school (as opposed to the "virtual schooling" we are doing here at home...lots of stuff from the computer). When Lindsay gets home we take a break, eat lunch and the kids play together for a little while and then we work for another hour or two...depending on how Amber is feeling. We try to end with either Art or Music and Lindsay usually joins in on those subjects.

The hardest part right now is trying to "catch up". Since we started in the middle of the school year we have to try and go through material and determine what she knows. We are making excellent progress in Math & Language, but science and history are a little harder to move fast through because it is a different curriculum. What is fun is that the history and art overlap a lot, so often we get make something in art that we talked about in history. Overall I think all is going well. We have our ups and downs. Some days are great and some are not so great, but I don't regret doing this for one minute!

9 comments:

Leslie said...

I'm glad you're doing okay so far!

mwells said...

You go Kristine!

Mike and Marianne said...

Awesome. She is going to thank you so much someday.

laurie said...

So happy to hear it. It really takes a special sort of person to do this and do it right. Good for you.

Camille said...

I'm glad things are going so well. You are such a great little mom. :)

p.s. A time for you to be proud of me. Don't laugh, but I did end up putting mind over matter and ran one mile straight yesterday. That was after 20 minutes on the stairclimber and lifting lower body weights for 30+ minutes. And to be honest, I probably could have ran more. :)

Elizabeth said...

Do you have any good "virtual" tips for spelling? You'd think we were torturing poor Brandon and he still misses words every week. Sigh!

Sister Sawyer said...

Wow! Kristine, I admire you so much. Sometimes I wish I would have done this with my kids. My friend did it with a few of her kids until they got ot high school. She had a few "bumps" in the road too but she wouldn't trade it for anything. I looked at some curriculums a long time ago and I was so impressed with the depth that seemed more than what my kids got at school. I looked at the Pioneer Womans stuff and it is just amazing. I am a groupie of yours. You are amazing!

queenbee4 said...

wow. If I home schooled my children you would see me on the 5:00 pm news in an orange jumpsuit.


ok prolly not really, but I am not cut out for homeschooling...
you are a rockstar.

Erika said...

So glad to hear that it is going so well. You are amazing!