Dear Sammy,
Seems like everyone who knows you that talks to me asks how you are doing. I keep telling them you are either doing great or your are lying to us! Haha! I sure hope it's the former.
We love you tons and are glad you have chosen to dedicate this season of your life to full-time service to the Lord. You will be blessed for your consecrated efforts, as will the people of Sullana (and wherever else you serve!). I was excited to hear that two of your investigators have accepted the challenge to enter into the covenant of baptism, and we look forward to hearing more of their progress, along with the rest of your investigators.
Speaking of baptisms ..., yesterday I presided/conducted at the baptism of the Hiltons oldest daughter Kylie. Bishop Kingsford was attending Brittany Huffaker's wedding that morning, and asked me to preside in his absence. It was a neat ceremony and I was glad to be a part of it. Her grandparents, great grandparents, and aunts/uncles all traveled down from Utah to be a part of the event. She and Sis. Hilton sang the song "A Child's Prayer" and the Spirit was strong. The entire service lasted less than 40 minutes, and I had an opportunity to say a few words at the end. I brought Kylie up and had her look at all the folks who came. I asked her whose example she was following by being baptized. She said Jesus. I said, that's right! And, I pointed out that she herself was now setting an example for all of those in the audience who have not yet been baptized (there were a number of young primary children there). I also talked a little bit about why it is that when we make key covenants in the gospel, those covenants are always accompanied by or "clothed in" a physical "ordinance." We explored briefly why we can't just turn 8 and come up to the podium in sacrament meeting and just declare that we promise to take upon ourselves the name of Christ etc.? In response, I mentioned that, not only does the ordinance contain important symbolism (i.e., in this case, death, burial, and resurrection + cleansing/washing of the physical/spiritual body) but that the physical nature of ordinance imprints a memory on our minds that associates intangible covenants with a physical, tangible experience that helps us "always remember" the promises we made. I'm explaining it here a little more deeply than I did at the baptism, but you get the point (I hope)!
I also gave Bro. Hilton a little hard time because it took him longer to get dressed and ready after the baptism that it did Kylie. I told him that this baptism would be memorable for the additional reason that it might be the first baptism in history where the girl got ready faster than the guy ... :-)
Okay, embarrassing story of the week for me. I was conducting sacrament meeting today, and we had the records of 5 newly moved-in families to read in, about 10 people to release, and about 15 people to sustain in new callings. In other words, a busy ward business day. Well, I managed to do okay through most of the business, but then I had written one of the names wrong in my notes (I wrote "Andrea" Eckman, but her name is "Amanda" Eckman). Well, the bishop jumped up and corrected me. I was, of course, a bit embarrassed, but when I tried to correct myself, I called her Andrea again. Geez, I guess some folks are slow learners (D'oh!). Anyway, I tried to make a joke out of it, and said that it was a good thing this was a volunteer church, so I couldn't get fired! I thought afterward that I should have just asked for a sustaining vote to change her name from Amanda to Andrea! Oh well. Anyway, Sis. Eckman was a good sport about it (I apologized to her after the meeting) and, at a minimum, I gave the audience an opportunity to laugh--even though it was at my expense. ;-)
Well, a little later on Sunday evening, Mom and I had a meeting with the Stake Presidency. Turns out I can get fired! Just kidding! I am getting a new calling though, and I'll tell you more about it next week once it becomes official. Of course, the new calling is completely unrelated to the Andrea/Amanda faux pas, but I'm sure I'm going to get some grief from the ward members when they find out what happened.
I'm sure at some point in your mission you'll have the opportunity to provide some unintentional entertainment for the audience with your developing Spanish skills. So, I just wanted you to know that I can relate--and that it happens, even when I'm speaking my native language!!
Well, I'll just touch on a couple of other highlights of the week, and Mom can fill in the details, as it's almost midnight, and Kent and I need to be up early tomorrow to head up to the Stake YM Encampment for the week. Should be a lot of fun!
--School's out! Last day was Thursday. Paige and Amber had final exams, and they both seemed to survive quite well. The kids had various end of school parties and celebrations. Kim Hunt had a pre-graduation party at her house (kind of like the one we had for you). We attended and congratulated her. Jake, of course, also graduated.
--Sat. before the baptism, Mom and I went on a 30 mi. bike ride. About half way through, she was feeling that her energy was zapped. That's when she looked down and realized that her tire had gone flat. No wonder the ride was so difficult! We changed the tube and felt lucky to make it back home, as the tire itself was pretty shredded.
--Last soccer game for Lindsay. The "Smurfs" finished off their season on Sat. with a 2-2 tie against a tough team. We almost pulled out a victory in the final seconds of the game, with a solid shot on goal that just happened to bounce off the goalie and out of the net. Oh well, it was a fun game to watch. Lindsay played well and had a fun season.
--On Sat. evening, we attended Brittany Huffaker's wedding reception. It was outside, and thankfully, the weather was quite pleasant--particularly for the end of May in Phoenix! She looked happy. Mom helped with prepping the food. I sent you a photo we snapped of the couple as we walked through the reception line.
Well, I need to hit the hay. We pray for you constantly and are proud of you. Sure love you!!
Dad
I sure do love you and pray for you each day! I know that you are learning, stretching and growing each day. I am still trying to do that as well! I am sure that that is the way this life is supposed to be. I remember that the first couple of months of my mission, the days seemed really long and I was so out of my comfort zone. About 5 months into my mission I realized that I was not thinking that way anymore. A few months later I realized that I could do anything for a few months, especially just taking one day at time until before I knew it a few weeks had passed by!
This was the last week of school for all the kids. They all worked hard and ended up with good grades. Lindsay was disappointed that she was the only one that was not a "golden scholar". Paige and Amber tried to reassure her that they were not always "golden scholars" and just to be patient and keep working hard. She struggles the most in math but has improved a lot this year. I have her signed up for a math class to help her prepare for 6th grade. It only has 4 students in it and so I think that she can really get the help that she needs. Since Kent is skipping a grade of math this year I signed him up as well (different class, same teacher) to help the transition be a little easier. I remember when you skipped a year of math and how hard that was.
My cycling classes are still going well. I am back on the bike and that is nice. I went running this morning and my calf felt tight but it wasn't painful so I think that I am back on the mend.
We are going to hike to Havasupi next week and I want to be able to go. I am a little concerned about carrying a 40 pound pack, but I think that I will be okay. I still have about a week and a half to get ready!
Dad told you that we went biking on Saturday and that I had a flat tire. It is crazy that I didn't notice it for a while. I think that it was getting flat for some time and then I did hear and feel something, but didn't know what it was and then I stopped and figured it out! I am getting better at being able to change a flat tire. I did most of it without Dad's help. I feel pretty confident that I could do it on my own now! I do have to get a new tire today so that I can go ride again tomorrow.
I have been going out riding with Sister D. Christensen (she is the U of U gal from girls camp). We leave super early (4:30 am), which is way early for me because it takes me about 30 minutes to get ready. It has been great though and she and I are pretty well matched right now. She is fun to talk to as well.
Amber's birthday is next week and we are trying to figure out what to get her. It is so hard once you guys get older because the things you want are too expensive and when you need something we don't wait to get it for you until it is your birthday. Hopefully we will figure something out! She couldn't find anyone to go with to the stake dance on Saturday, so I ended up just taking her and picking her up. I am glad that she doesn't let that get her down and she goes and has fun anyway! Sunday though she didn't stay at church because she was getting sick. She has had a sore throat and fever. Sounds like what Kent and Lindsay had. Apparently it takes about a week for the next person to get it. I hope it stops with her!
Paige had a good last week of school, except that she had to work Thursday night (graduation) and had to close (8 hour shift, everyone who usually works with her was graduating or involved somehow). They had to have some day workers come and work with her. She survived somehow. I know that it puts a cramp in her style to have a job, and most of the time she appreciates it, but it sure would be easier if her friends worked as well.
On another note, Brittany's wedding reception was nice. I kept asking Sister H. what she needed and offered to help. She wasn't sure and so I told her I would come and help in the kitchen for the first little while. I guess Mary C. had told her that she and her family would come help serve and Julie took it as that Mary would be in charge of the kitchen. I invited Marianne O. to come help me in the kitchen, because after working at Eric's wedding, I knew what it involved. I was so glad that we had offered to come because they had none of the food ready at all! Mary was not aware that she was supposed to put everything together. So she was thrilled when Marianne and I showed up and got to work. We didn't stay the whole time, but we did stay most of the time. I have started a notebook so that I know what to do when you girls get married. I hope you are okay with keeping things very simple. I think that people try and serve too much food. I told your sisters that at their receptions we are only serving cake! Paige said, "Mom, not everyone likes cake." I told her, "Like I care if they like what I am serving or not!" I did tell someone that at the reception and she said that she had gone to a couple of receptions where they served the bride's favorite treat and that was all. One it was sugar cookies and the other it was donuts and hot chocolate. I could work with that as well! Just keep that in mind for future reference:)!! I am either lazy or practical...or maybe something else:)!
Kent and Dad headed off to scout camp early this morning. Kent is so excited to be outside. He sure takes after your dad on loving to hike and be out in nature, enjoying the beauty and exploring. Dad will be there the whole week. He is in charge of the bishopric message on Tuesday and was a little nervous. He always does such a nice job and makes it interesting but meaningful. I am sure he will do a fabulous job!
Dad mentioned that we met with the stake presidency last night and we will tell you more next week when we can talk about it more. They always ask me to say something and I just want to say, "I'm good, lets just let Dave talk." However, I did say something, I hope it was coherent, maybe not, but somehow I got through it. The older I get the less I like to talk in public (even when it is just a few people)...crazy!
Well, I think that is all for us this week. I sure love you!! Hope you have another great week! Keep those pictures coming! Love you tons!!!
Love,
Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment