It was so wonderful to hear your voice today! A little bummed that the video function was not working on your end and that we kept getting cut off, but at least you could see us, and it was still fun to have an actual conversation in real time. You sound great! I am happy that you feel good about the progression of your language skills, and that the food is agreeing with you, etc. I'm sure being in an entire district of native Spanish speakers has been challenging, but that kind of immersion is an effective training tool.
| Skyping with Samanatha |
| This is our view! At least she could see us! |
Of course, your call was the highlight of Mother's Day, but we did celebrate in other ways as well. With 8 am church, and with me in the bishopric (and conducting), cooking breakfast wasn't a realistic option. As I was about to head downstairs after getting ready, I asked Mom how she felt about an exotic Mother's Day breakfast of frozen waffles in the toaster (a.k.a., Mom's regular, staple breakfast). She laughed and said that would be fine. I was feeling a little bad about that start to the morning, but when I got downstairs, I found Amber pouring pancakes on the griddle, with the table set and scrambled eggs ready to fry up! So, thanks to Amber, Mom got a good hot breakfast to start the day. Yay!
In church, Elder S. Gifford N. of the 1st Quorum of the Seventy was in attendance. He is the uncle of one of the younger couples in the ward, who were blessing their baby. Thankfully, I didn't screw up the conducting, and the program went pretty well, so that was good. Elder N.'s only critique was that we have the ward clerk do the counting for sacrament meeting attendance from the doorways (rather that roaming up and down the aisles while the speakers speak--too distracting). Otherwise, he was very complimentary of our ward.
Natalie T. was our youth speaker and she did a wonderful job speaking on mothers. Sis. Sa. gave a great talk as well. One line that stood out to me from her talk was: "The greatest blessing of being a mother is ... becoming a grandmother!" Ha ha. Bro. St. also spoke, but was trying to save some time for Elder N. to say a few words, (which he did).
All of the moms and 18+yo women received chocolate bars. Moms with missionaries out or in military service got potted flowers. :-)
During the 3rd hour, we made arrangements for all of the women to attend Relief Society (i.e., men covered all of the primary, etc.). The bishopric taught the YW. The lesson was on the need for a living prophet. In my part, I talked about why/how the Great Apostasy occurred and how, prior to that, it was Paul's letters to the church members spread throughout the area that had kept the doctrine pure and helped various branches of the church from going astray. In the same manner, the living prophet helps us stay on track today. We then talked about the First Presidency message in the FTSOY pamphlet, which promises that youth who obey the standards there in will (1) have the companionship of the Holy Ghost; (2) have increased faith and testimony; and (3) enjoy greater happiness. I think it went "OK," but not great. I guess Amber told Mom it was a little boring and disjointed (I blame that on Bishop and Bro. Crotts! Just kidding!! :-). Oh well. Hopefully, someone got something out of the message.
As you know, Julie came over for dinner, and we enjoyed hamburgers on the grill. Grandma was not feeling great, so didn't come over, but we went to her house later in the evening. Richard, Eric, Jacob, and I gave her a blessing. Jacob gave the blessing (his first) and did a great job.
Lindsay made grandma a big card from our family. It was cute and filled with her artistic creativity. She's a cutie.
Yesterday, I got up early and went on a 30 mi. solo bike ride. Mom strained or tore a muscle in her calf, playing racquetball with Sis. T. on Friday, so she was (is) a bit out of commission when it comes to running and cycling for the next little while. Anyway, the bike ride was great, as was the weather. (Surprisingly, not too hot--and it was quite pleasant today for Mother's Day).
Lindsay had a soccer game and she played well, though she didn't get that much playing time. She didn't start the game and was never in the starting line up after a water break or halftime, but rather was sent in as a sub (usually playing only a few minutes until the next break, after which she was back on the sidelines). I'm not sure whether it was that the coach was not paying too much attention or whether she was intentionally being sidelined in favor of more naturally talented players. I was getting a bit irked, though, and finally told Lindsay that she needs to tell her coach that she wants to play more. She plucked up her courage and did. And the coach put her in. She worked hard and made some good passes and clears on defense. Even at that, though, she played less than 1/2 of the game. She still seemed to have fun, though, which I guess is the important thing.
In other news of the week, Paige had an orchestra concert on Tuesday. The auditorium was packed, with standing room only. We got there a little late and didn't get a seat until the first orchestra was done and we were able to slip into some seats vacated by parents of members of the first orchestra. We returned the favor, by giving up our seats after Paige's orchestra played.
On Friday, Paige and McKay M. went on their "day date" for Mormon Prom. They went ice skating. Then on Saturday, they went to dinner at BJ's and then to the dance. Kim did Paige's hair, and Mom tailored her dress (adding some sleeves and a little material over the bust area). Paige looked beautiful! She had a fun time as well.
It was Kent's week to stay home sick with a cold and fever. He missed his science fair (he did an experiment, testing the longevity of various batteries), but his project won first place at the fair among 6th graders. Mom and I went and accepted his award for him.
Kent also missed the band concert, which was on Thursday. Lindsay was there, though, and played well for the 5th grade band. She seems to really enjoy playing the saxophone.
On Friday night, Mom and I went to see the play "9 to 5" at the Hale Center Theater. Sis. E. in our ward was one of the lead characters. We went with the W. and S. from the BG ward, as well as the L. from the Durango Ward. We wanted to get dinner beforehand at Oregano's but the wait was too long. So, we ended up eating at Liberty Market, which was good as well. The play was well cast and well performed. We enjoyed it!
Well, it's getting late here, and I need to hit the hay. Sure love you! I'm proud of you and pray for your safety and success each day. You are a wonderful daughter--and woman!
Love you,
Dad
Dear Samantha,
Dear Samantha,
Well, it has been the highlight of my week to talk with you!! You sound GREAT!!! I am so proud of you and your great attitude and outlook on life! Thank you for wanting to talk about all the good things that are happening to you and that you are experiencing on your mission. What a great blessing and opportunity it is to be able to serve a mission.
Dad really gave you the highlights of the week, in fact I'm not sure that I have that much to add.
I will give you a little more detail on my injury. Sister T. and I had been playing racquetball for about 40 minutes when I pulled my calf muscle. It was a little surreal because I felt the muscle so something it wasn't supposed to do. Never had that happen before. I limped to the car and spent the rest of the day with it elevated and icing it. It feels pretty good most of the time now, I just have to be careful how fast I walk because if I go to fast it seizes up and hurts but if I walk slowly it is okay. Hopefully it won't put me out of commission for too long!
Dad made me a funny card for mother's day. He created a survey and had the kids them out (he did as well). Some of the questions and funny answers were:
Something funny that Mom says/does all the time that makes her unique:
Dad: Cracking up at her own jokes! Starting sentences and not completing them
Paige: Get your toe out of my hammer loop (I told her that was her quote, but she told me that I am the one that says it all the time)
Amber: She laughs at her own jokes (apparently I think I am pretty funny!)
Kent: Laughing under pressure (that might be more in line with Dad & Amber's)
Lindsay: She writes down all the funny things I say (I told her that dad was better at it than me, but she must be a lot like me laughing at my own jokes!)
Something Mom does to make me feel loved:
Dad: Scratch my head :)
Paige: Talks to me after school (more like ask a lot of questions and drag information out of her!)
Amber: She gives me hugs and doesn't ask why.
Kent: She cares about me by listening to my complaints
Lindsay:She does my chores for me when I am sick (I think). (She might have been too sick to know:)!!)
We got a good kick out of it! Your dad always comes up with cool stuff like that! He is pretty amazing!
This week should be busy with more choir concerts, country reports, famous people reports and a few other things thrown in there! Mostly me just running around for everyone. Glad that my calf feels better so I can.
I loved the pictures!! Seriously it is so good to see you and see what you are doing and where you are. Love you so much! Hope you have an amazing week!!
Love,
Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment