Garner Family

Garner Family

Friday, December 12, 2008

The Aflac Iron Girl Run in Tempe

I guess that I have been hit by the running bug. A couple of weeks ago I got an email about a race that was going to be on Saturday, December 6th (somewhat rare...lots of races on Sunday) that was open only to women. It got my attention until I realized that my kids had a performance that same morning. Then Monday we got the message that the show was bumped to the next week and I started thinking about the race again. I tried to sign up online, but it wouldn't go through and so I went and signed up on Friday. It was a nightmare trying to find parking around the Tempe Town Lake...but it finally worked out!

This is before the race.

Dave and Amber came with me for support and to cheer me on. I tried to ask some other women if they wanted to run, but I guess the 10 mile course sounded a little daunting to them, or maybe the late notice was a factor. Dave was sweet to come and later told me that he was happy that I was now a runner of my own free will. Remember he is the one that got me into this sport.

I set my goals (3 different times...slowest time (I can live with this), medium time (I would be happy to achieve this), and the fastest time (this will push me to my limit)). I ran the half marathon averaging 10 minute miles. So my slowest goal was to match my pace from the 1/2, my fastest was to run 9 minute 30 second miles (which really doesn't sound that fast, but it is fast for me! Well it was a beautiful day and I felt good.

Right before the start.

It was fun to have a cheering section and I reached my goal within just a few seconds! I ran the 10 miles in 1 hour and 35 minutes and 12 seconds!

After crossing the finish line.

It feels good to have some goals and start to be able to accomplish them! Our next race is London's Run in Queen Creek on January 31st (it is a Saturday), come join us. They have a 1/2 marathon, a 10k and a 2mile fun run. Just google London's Run Queen Creek.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are fantastic! Way to stick to your goals. I am so proud of you! Dacia

jamieBEE said...

You look amazing!!!! After the finish line it looks like you only took a stroll around the park!!!!! But you were RUNing!!! For an hour plus!!!!

Way to go!! You inspire me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leslie said...

Awesome! Seriously, you look so good at that finish line. Nice!
Les.

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Kristine! My friend Carol runs the Iron Girl race every year. That is awesome that you run of "your own free will" now, since I have not caught that bug myself (yet)!

Julie Garner

Erika said...

So inspiring!!! ;-) Way to go!

laurie said...

Amazing! I see the medal, what was if for? That is really fast, for anyone that isn't a seasoned runner, which you are about to be labeled!

The Johnsen7 said...

You are incredible!! You inspire me to get off my butt and go for a walk... :) You truly are amazing!

DTaylor said...

You go Kristine!!!!