Garner Family

Garner Family

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

What a day!

I am so happy that this day is almost over and I can start again tomorrow. First things first. Paige's one month old glasses broke this morning so we started out the day with more tears. Then I cut my thumb trying to help Kent open the box of fruit leather for his lunch (the cut is not bad, just in a really hard to heal or bandage spot). I started the laundry, got the kids off to school after a lot of encouragement with little success, but just wishing the whole time that they could just be self motivated and take care of themselves. I tried to "organize" some of my junk piles, but because I have yet to figure out what I need to keep and what I need to get rid of, I barely made a dent, or rather I just shifted the stuff from one pile to the next. I think it is a very efficient system:)!

I called the vet and got an appointment for Rex to get checked out. He still was not walking on his back right leg at all. When Lindsay got home from school (oh yeah I did finally get in a shower at one point), we took Rex to the vet, where we found out that the poor little guy weighs a whopping 7.5 lbs and has a broken hip. The vet took two x-rays and at the time I just wished for a time machine to take me back to Saturday so I could do it all over again and leave better instructions for my kids so that this "little" mishap hadn't ever happened. The verdict: SURGERY! It is not that I don't care for this cute, little fellow, it is just that anytime an unexpected expense comes up it throws me for a loop. Today's visit was $173 and the surgery will be another $1000. What do you do when it's family???

As you can imagine the day just kept throwing things at me. While we were with Rex at the vet's, I was talking with Lindsay and I could see some goop in both of her eyes. I looked a little closer and (this is where having worked at a childcare center and being the mother of 5 makes me almost a doctor because there was no doubt as to what I saw) yep, you guessed it: PINK EYE! Fortunately, I had some medicine from the last bout of pink eye and home and we started treatment immediately. I then sat down with Kent to help him with his homework (all the while changing loads of laundry) and promptly lost track of time. I got a call at 5:10 from my friend Jen who teaches my kids piano lessons and realized immediately that Amber was late! Now, whenever Amber is rushed there is sure to be some toxic fallout and sure enough she came home in a very bad mood (sorry Jen) and said that she had a terrible piano lesson to go along with her terrible, no good, very bad day (and I am sure that I was not the only one who thought Australia was looking really good!).

Paige finally got home at 5:40pm (she left at 7:30 am...had piano lessons and a long practice for a primary program strings number she is involved in). So you can guess how tired and grumpy she was and I needed to get her to the eye dr.'s office by six to have them order her a new pair of frames to replace the ones that I had just bought for her last month (and paid a lot for unfortunately) and broke so easily (mind you this is the first time with these particular glasses with metal frames, but her last pair broke (with plastic frames) 4 different times in exactly the same way. The poor lady that helped us at the office got a piece of my not so happy mind. I keep trying to learn this law of attraction: whatever you send out comes back. Well I must be sending out some bad stuff because it all came back to me today! I keep trying to tell myself: everything happens for a reason and there is always something to learn...even from the trials!

We finally had dinner at 7pm after I rallied the troupes to help out and now I need to finish up the laundry and go to bed!

7 comments:

Carri said...

Ugh. What a terrible day. Tomorrow has GOT to be better, right?
I'm glad you found me! Happy blogging.

laurie said...

Oh my gosh, we should have called and commiserated. Sept. 2 should be banned from the calendar! We learned at Stake conference that those are called "hard blessings". I couldn't find any blessings in my day, maybe I didn't look hard enough. We can always be grateful that there is another day just a few hours away! PS. I wouldn't save the dog, that's just me.

Leslie said...

Oh no! I hope the end of the week went way better. And I'm with Laurie on the dog. Sorry!
Les.

DTaylor said...

I am so sorry to hear about everyone and the bad day! I am especially sorry about Rex. So sad for him and you all too.

Diane

Camille said...

I feel soooo normal!!

Camille said...

K, I just realized that my comment probably didn't make sense. What I meant to say is that I can totally relate. It seems like bad days and grouchy kids are the norm lately. (sigh)

mwells said...

That "Mom's Manual" that will never be written would have days like this listed in the "side effects" section! So sorry to hear about Rex and your no good rotten day! Thank Heaven for tomorrows... I think! :)